| Lagos Executive Development Board (L.E.D.B) 1928:
Established by the Colonial Administrators with the legal Instrument tagged ‘the Town Planning Ordinance’ (Cap 95 of 1928) which declared Lagos as a planned city.
• Vetting and Approval of Building Plans
• Undertaking Comprehensive Land use, Re-planning, Improvement (i.e. Reclamation and Re-
• planning of Oko-Awo and Idumagbo Area)
• Housing Development and General Development of Lagos State
Central Lagos Scheme- 1st to be cleared and re-planned
Surulere Re- housing Scheme – To re- plan Surulere and provides necessary facilities.
Ikeja Area Planning Authority (I.A.P.A.) – Created in 1956 by Western Nigeria Government to
Execute development control within Isolo, Mushin, Ikeja, Agege, Ajegunle etc.
(2) Lagos State Development Property Corporation (LSDPC) 1972:
• Created to resolve lack of co-ordination, inefficiency and waste resulting from duplication of
responsibilities of L.E.D.B and I.A.P.A
• Centralization and control of planning in Lagos State
• Composed of L.E.D.B, I.A.P.A as well as E.T.P.A which usually performed its duty outside the
Metropolitan Area were merged together.
To acquire, develop, hold, manage, sell, lease and let any moveable and unmovable properties within the State.
Physical Planning Structure – 1972 to date
i. Ministry of Works and Planning 1973 – 1978
ii. Ministry of Housing, Surveys and Special Duties 1978 – 1979
iii. Ministry of Economic Planning and Lands Matters 1979 – 1984
iv. Department of Lands, Housing and Development Matters of the Military Governor’s Office 1984 – 1985
v. Department of the Environment, 1985 – 1986
vi. Department of the Environment and Physical Planning of the Military Governor’s Office 1987 – 1989
vii. Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning 1990 – 1991
viii. Office of the Environment and Physical Planning, Governor’ Office 1992 – 1993
ix. Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning 1994 – 1999
x. Office of Physical Planning, Ministry of Environment and Physical Planning 1999 – 2003
xi. Ministry of Physical Planning 2003 – 2004
xii. Ministry of Physical Planning and Urban Development from 2004 to date with its Agencies.